Monday, October 17, 2005

Speakerphone

Speakerphone

I hate speakerphone!  I hate being put on speakerphone.  In the legal profession, as I am in, attorneys LOVE to use speakerphone.  In my opinion, it is yet another way they utilize something, in this case, a telephone, that will allow them to exert the least amount of effort as possible…this “something” is usually their staff, but I’ll blog on that another day.  You just never know who is within earshot of these contraptions.  Plus, have you ever actually heard yourself, as on a tape recording?  I prefer the computerized non-gendered voice to leave my “I’m not here” recording on the answering machine at home over the sound of my own voice.  (Maybe this is another reason why my husband gets a pinched look on his face when I’m speaking sometimes….NYAH, can’t be!!)
I was “put on,” put UPON, if you ask me, to speak on this infernal thing today, to yes, an attorney.  I was speaking to both he and his secretary over the damned thing.  As soon as I heard the tunnel-like sound of his voice to know the speakerphone was in full effect, I felt like starting off with “We will now the recite the Pledge of Allegiance…”   Or start singing The Star-Spangled Banner…ya know, the way that song sounds when you heard it sung at the ol’ Friday night high school football games?!?   Ah ha!  THAT’S what I’ll do next time I’m to “speak” on the friggin’ speakerphone – just start singing The Star-Spangled Banner at the top of my voice…imagine Roseanne when she did it, yet even slightly more off-key.  That’ll teach ‘em…

5 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

Just read your profile and noticed your read We Were the Mulvaneys---I loved that book even though it tore me up like little glass grinders. I gather from other things I read that you're a relative or co-worker of the Famous Laurie-K A R. Good on ya.

October 18, 2005 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I hate speaker phones, too. When an ex-boss of mine would use his speaker phone, I would always get up and shut his door. He thought I was nuts anyway.

October 24, 2005 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger thenewmrsf said...

Lorna - Hi, glad to see someone reads my stuff...as if it NEEDS to be read, I guess. :) Yes, that book was wonderful and awful...I've never cried reading before and that book broke me in good. And yes, I'll admit to knowing Miss Laurie. We WERE co-workers a while back, all too short a time...I got lucky and escaped...actually, freed is more like it, but I always keep up w/her blog and occasionally we'll use the old method of e-mail. She's a hoot and a nice lady...you seem to be too! Take care and keep reading....I'll be sure to look you up today!

October 28, 2005 at 6:18 AM  
Blogger thenewmrsf said...

Hi Laurie! Yeah, they all think we are from time to time, I guess...my boss has a few up on me in the loon sightings, though, I can say that. Whatcha gonna be for Halloween?

October 28, 2005 at 6:20 AM  
Blogger yakmidi said...

A little late to your post -- I found it when looking for links to add to my own speakerphone rant. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my disdain for speakerphone.

Looks like a fun blog. I'll check back later.
-dk.

March 16, 2006 at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home