Friday, October 14, 2005

Rules Re: Men (and Women) Wearing Cologne in the Workplace

(Before I begin this rant, let me preface it by saying that I myself am a lowly peon at my place of employment, exist only to serve my boss' most self-centered and lazy demands, and have no more place to talk about "contract workers" than the man-in-the-moon) Therefore, I begin: If your profession entails you entering other people's places of business to perform work in the aforementioned people's personal space, please please PLEASE oh please smell nice! I am currently being assaulted by a very nice, very helpful phone workman, who is quickly & quietly attempting to vamp up our terribly old phone system, and only hesitantly interrupts me in a very professional & courteous manner. However, when he does get close to me to pick up my phone receiver, the smell of his cologne (and yes he IS wearing some) promotes a yucky, weird feeling to occur in my tummy. Granted, it is not a nasty smell, like boiled cabbage or Frito-feet, but it's an offending smell nonetheless. And truly, I mean nothing against this kind man who is just here doing his job, helping us, and who probably has no idea nor reason to be embarrassed or harangued about his cologne. But pew-wee!
It's such a shame, too, because cologne can do so many good things on men, when properly applied and worn. I mean, when my husband gets ready for an evening out and walks with me out of the house, and I get one of those heavenly whiffs, it's all I can do not to drag him back into the house by his you-know-what. (I apologize for the lewdness, but DAMN, does he smell good!)
And in all actuality, I myself should be grouped into this category myself. I am an avid perfume lover, as well as wearer....I believe one of the highest compliments you can be paid is "Mmmm, you smell nice." However, just the other morning, while my sister & brother-in-law were bunking with us, thanks to Rita the B*&$%, my little niece saw me spray myself with my perfume (Rapture by Victoria's Secret, just so ya know I do try to smell nice) and hollered "Spray me, spray me!" So, in an attempt to oblige her and enjoin her in big-girl's ways, I did. She then ran to her father and said "Smell me, Daddy," which he did, and to which he replied very matter-of-factly, "Mmmmm, you smell just like a French whore." Now, was it an appropriate thing to say to your 3-year old daughter? No. (An appropriate, or nice, thing to say about me? Absolutely not! I know he doesn't know I heard him - "But I DID, Jeff!") Was it a reference to an old, pleasant memory from when he still lived in Canada? Possibly. :) Yet, a good reason for me to rethink MY "smell-good" habits. YES.
But see?!? Constructive critiscm is helpful AND appreciated....now would anyone like to let my lil' phone man in on the news?

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Hey, you're back to writing! I'll put you back on my sidebar. I can't wait to read more.

October 24, 2005 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger thenewmrsf said...

Howdy! Yes, a little bit, even though it has been a few days, as you can see from my just now responding to ya. We still have no computer at home, and in our newly occupied office, our system is going up & down like a roller coaster. I'd forgotten how much I like it, though, so I will keep it up. And I've put the Blogger tool bar on my Word program, which really makes it easier...try that,if you haven't already, 'cuz I love reading yours! Thx for commenting to me, much appreciated. See ya around soon, I hope!

October 28, 2005 at 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home